Contributing

This is a forum for THUG Pro.
Wallingtons

Contributing

Post by Wallingtons »

Hiya, been playing THUGPRO for a while and just signed up here.

I skimmed the FAQ but wasn't able to find an answer. I have 3D skills (autodesk - 3ds max and friends, also I heard you guys use blender and i have some experience with that program too)

I was wondering if there is any documentation on how you've been able to get new levels working thus far - I'd be really interested in seeing if I can help getting more levels into THUGPRO and would like to avoid reinventing the wheel. Things like what formats the levels / meshes / textures need to be submitted in, if you've made any tools to streamline the process etc. I have some ideas on converting assets that I'd like to try out.

Really enjoy THUGPRO and would love to help out if I can :D

Wallingtons

P.S. bonus question - the octodad head looks super smooth, is this new support for normal maps? Were there already normal maps in the game? I can help out to make new and pre-existing assets look this good too :D :D

K3V1N4000

Re: Contributing

Post by K3V1N4000 »

Wallingtons wrote:The octodad head looks super smooth, is this new support for normal maps? Were there already normal maps in the game?
I wish they added it, lol.
Your head.
Use it before posting, please.

Thank you.

Morten1337
Site Admin

Post by Morten1337 »

Hi,

So far we have only been converting the file directly between the games.
There are some exceptions tho, but that has just been very simple models with minimal textures or effects.

I've been using blender and exporting to Collada (.DAE), then converting to .scn and .col for THUGPro.
Although its very limited right now.
The exported Collada is also lacking alot of data, so there isnt much I can do about that, and i'm not planning on expanding the Collada export features.

To answer you first question: No, we dont have a streamlined way to import custom assets... but we can do it... kinda.

I know there other people working on tools for editing/loading/saving thps levels tho, and even a plugin for blender.
But I dont know the status of these tools. So we just gotta wait for some more news about that.

Another issue with custom content like this, is that we dont really have a good way to test the new content.
It requires a bit of work to setup a level to load in the game etc..
So we would have to find a good way to let people load and test their new levels more easily, eventually...

Materials in thps are pretty simple... Support for normal maps wasnt added before THAW (x360)
It could be possible to add this to THUGPro, but its not really a priority right now.
The game supports materials with up to 4 textures, but in most cases its just using one or two.

The octodad model is taken from thps5, its just one diffuse texture, but i baked the AO map texture into it with photoshop.
It probably looks smooth because of the texture resolution and the polycount... even though thps5 on the 360 has lowres assets compared to thpshd on pc.

bru

Post by bru »

Morten1337 wrote: Materials in thps are pretty simple... Support for normal maps wasnt added before THAW (x360)
It could be possible to add this to THUGPro, but its not really a priority right now.
Visually, what other features could be added? Are you limited by not having access to the engine itself for implementing things like bloom, better lighting, etc?

Morten1337
Site Admin

Post by Morten1337 »

bru wrote:
Morten1337 wrote: Materials in thps are pretty simple... Support for normal maps wasnt added before THAW (x360)
Visually, what other features could be added? Are you limited by not having access to the engine itself for implementing things like bloom, better lighting, etc?
I'm sure theres alot of things that we could do, but its really more about how much time we want to spend working on something like that.
And in many cases the final result is not worth the time and effort.

Spl1nks
VIP

Post by Spl1nks »

Morten1337 wrote: I've been using blender and exporting to Collada (.DAE), then converting to .scn and .col for THUGPro.
Hello,
first time poster, hope you don't mind if I jump in. :)

I was curious on what you use to convert the dae to scn and col. Also are the assets you rip hold rig info and bones? I knew there was an issue with implementation of custom rigged characters, but I was unsure on what part of the process the error was at; decompiling/compiling/exporting/or importing.

Apologies for the questions. Was just curious on the matter. :?

Morten1337
Site Admin

Post by Morten1337 »

Spl1nks wrote:
Morten1337 wrote: I've been using blender and exporting to Collada (.DAE), then converting to .scn and .col for THUGPro.
Hello,
first time poster, hope you don't mind if I jump in. :)

I was curious on what you use to convert the dae to scn and col. Also are the assets you rip hold rig info and bones? I knew there was an issue with implementation of custom rigged characters, but I was unsure on what part of the process the error was at; decompiling/compiling/exporting/or importing.

Apologies for the questions. Was just curious on the matter. :?
The files are converted using a custom tool.
Blender does not export bone data when using the default Collada export plugin. So thats one of the issues. And like i said i'm not planning on expanding the Collada export features.

The general problem we have with converting skinned meshes between the different thps games, is that the skeleton bone hierarchy is different, and we dont have a propper lookup table for the bone indexes. Its not impossible to solve this, but its just not something that we have been focusing on.

Spl1nks
VIP

Post by Spl1nks »

Understood morten. Thank you for the reply.

I'm actually making a megapack of thug2 for Garry's Mod and Source Filmmaker. And with the thugpro devs permission I would like to dedicate it to bring attention to the thugpro project.

I already have 113 characters rigged up on valvebiped skeletons, most of the create a park models ported with custom collision models, and all the sprays and sticker tags put on sprays.